As an amazon associate, Best Wood Carving Tools may earn an affiliate commission when you buy through links on our site.
The Morakniv Classic No 2 is a traditional model from Sweden of camping/wilderness knives. It is a high quality knife, the top of its class, known for its durability and effectiveness. Hundreds of customer reviews of the item proclaim its greatness and the superiority over other utility knives.
So what makes this classic cutting machine such a work of art?
We will look at the intricacies of the mora classic 2, its benefits, multi-functionality, and why it is so highly valued.
First, let’s dive into the details and dimensions of the knife:
Since it is a classic model, this knife is not meant for style and special ergonomic design, but what it lacks in features, it makes up for in reliability:
Swedish carbon steel has been trusted and has proven itself superior to most any other type of blade.
The Scandinavian grind of the blade also allows for trouble-free regrinding and sharpening, as well as an effortless cutting ability. Understanding what this knife presents, what are its main advantages you ask.
What would persuade you to purchase this knife over other utility knives?
Top Mora Classic 2 Qualities
Being a classic model, this knife is made to exceed industry standards and offer higher quality materials than its competition:
- Sharpness: The Classic No 2 is one of the sharpest knives anyone will find because of its carbon blade. Stronger than stainless steel, the carbon blade can hold a sharper edge. Not only is it one of the sharpest knives available, it’s valuable quality for holding an edge is highly sought after.
- Regrinding: As a result of its carbon blade, the Classic No 2 does not need regrinding often.
However, when it comes time to sharpen the blade, the work can be done in as little as five minutes.
- Durability: The high carbon steel is tested at 58-60 Rockwell, making it one of the most durable knives in its class. After several uses, especially in work requiring durability, the blade’s hardness keeps the knife intact and sharp for time to come.
- Sheath: While the sheath may seem unworthy of the knife it holds, its durability and lightweight plastic make it the perfect companion.
Most other knives will never beat out the Classic No 2 in any of the aforementioned categories. While this knife is one for the history books, it is not completely flawless, at least to the taste and preferences of some.
Although they may be considered disadvantages, they are not inherent problems with the mora classic 2, but rather, characteristics that do not meet the highest preferences:
- Tang: The knife possesses a ¾ rat tail tang, which is a step-down from the strongest type, a full tang. If the knife is used for its intended purpose, the tang should be of no concern to its user.
- Features: This knife, admittedly, is plain, lacking the more current, modern ergonomic style. Those that prefer the classic design will be drawn to this reliable, high grade knife.
These slight matters of preference do nothing to damage the amazing rapport the mora classic 2 knife has built up.
Let’s move on to how practical this utility knife really is.
What is the intended use of this classic utility knife?
While there is a simple answer (to slice through just about anything) the mora classic 2 can function in several applications.
Obviously, there is no reason you should be trying to baton 12” logs, but this knife should be able to handle almost all practical applications:
It is perfect for camping/hunting:
- Clearing area for a campsite,
- Chopping firewood
- Cooking utensil
- Finishing a hunting kill
- Wood Carving
It can be useful in everyday life:
- Cutting plastic bottles
- Cutting anything that a normal blade will have a tough time getting through
This knife is the epitome of a utility knife. It is an invaluable asset to have with you at all times.
The mora classic 2 is one of the most valuable on the market. However, it is relatively inexpensive despite Morakniv ceasing to manufacture the item. This knife is easily available on Amazon and for less than $20.
Many customers reviewing the knife have stated that they choose to use the Classic No 2 over several other Scandinavian grind knives that they own. The knife’s cutting ability is unparalleled and its durability will outlast most other knives in its class. It is reliable and practical in its multiple applications.
People have commented that it can slice receipts into strips of ribbon among several other amazing feats that cannot be expected nor experienced with other knives. It is of the highest caliber from a company of the utmost respect in knife making.
With a handle that allows for any kind of hand grip, the blade can be utilized in any way the user desires. The blade cuts through almost anything and keeps a sharp edge after days, weeks, and as long as months of use. Whether it is used for woodcarving, survival in the wilderness, hunting, or even everyday use in the home, the Mora Classic 2 can handle anything thrown its way.
All in all, Swedish carbon steel just cannot be beat, and the Classic No 2 embodies that principle. The flawless craftsmanship of such a classic model knife showcases Morakniv’s commitment to excellence.