Did you ever think of taking up carving, but were short on easy wood carving ideas? We’ll provide a few suggestions to get you started right here. They just need a piece of soft wood, a couple of hand tools, your imagination and your time.
Later you may tire of step-by-step wood carving for beginners, because you want to tackle something more advanced. If that’s the case, we may suggest a few pieces of equipment we use ourselves. However, for now let’s stay with the four flat wood carving ideas for beginners that we find most enjoyable. Are you good to go now?
Let’s Talk About Bringing Easy Wood Carving Ideas to Life
Simple hand wood carving, following wood carving patterns frees you up from stressing about getting the proportions right. Begin your project with a piece of wooden board, that’s soft enough to mark with a finger nail. And have as many of the following hand tools available as possible:
- Small carving knife with fixed blade fitting comfortably in your hand.
- A small selection of U-gouges for removing the basic overlay of wood.
- A set of V-gouges from 2mm t0 35 mm wide to begin your finer work.
- Bent, spoon and back-bent gouges to work into tight corners.
- A small, lightweight wooden mallet, other tools that catch your fancy.
Remember as you go along you are removing material which is the opposite of casting in a mold. You can’t put wood shavings back easily! There is no time limit to carving. Some master crafts people take years, because they understand the pleasure of easy wood carving is in the detail.
Our 4 Easy Wood Carving Ideas for Beginners Today
#Creating a Relief Pattern from a Piece of Board
Completing a few easy-going relief carving patterns is a great way for beginners to build their confidence. You’ll see examples everywhere you go, from classic stone buildings through to modern wooden doors. So pick something that you fancy, and then pin it down in these easy steps:
- First choose a suitable-size piece of wood board that has proportions you fancy
- Then photograph something that you like, and download the image to your computer.
- Use a free graphic package with image crop and image resizing capability.
- Then transfer the key features of the image to the board with pencil and ruler.
- Now get your tools out, and start producing something stunning as this carving.
#Easy Wood Carving Ideas – A Spatula for the Kitchen
If you always wanted a spatula you saw on television but could not find it in the shops, then here’s your opportunity. Because this free wood carving for beginners could even become something you could sell! The sky is your limit with our easy wood carving ideas, your creative hands and a couple of basic tools!
This is a great wood carving project for children to have fun on rainy days when they have to stay indoors.
- Choose a piece of wood of the right proportioins that’s firm but you can carve.
- Mark the board up to the dimensions and find a responsible adult to shape it.
- Work it down to the desired finish with wood carving tools and sandpaper
- Finally, sand the spatula to the desired finish, choose a recipe and get cooking!
#Another Free Wood Carving Idea – Make a Toy Boat
This flat wood carving idea is just perfect fun for a little boy and his dad. And what’s more, they’ll have some amusement on bath days too! Wood carving does not have to only be fine art. That’s because wood lends itself to making almost anything, especially if you have easy wood carving ideas to refer to!
Get together some off-cuts of wood. Your local joinery shop should be happy for you to lighten the scrap bin. You don’t need to be a maritime architect to get wood to float. Just mark the pieces up on the wood, and then trim and sand them until happy.
Finally, use your new set of wood carving tools to hollow out the cargo hold. But use alkaline contact adhesive to glue the bits together, because wood glue softens in water. Then finish the ocean liner off with pieces of a discarded broom pole.
Step by step easy wood carving ideas for kids are a super way to introduce a worthwhile hobby. They unlock the creative potential in their minds. But they are also a great way to develop fine motor skills and raw woodworking talent.
#Create a World Map Out of Wood (Using a Jigsaw)
Flat wood carving ideas are sometimes easier to achieve using simple tools like electric- and hand-power jigsaws. Although if you are a purist you could achieve the same results going the long way around.
We included this video because it illustrates a smart idea for marking up wood before cutting. Although the list of possible jigsaw images is absolutely endless. You could frame the finished job and hang it on your wall. Although easy wood carving ideas like this also make wonderful gifts for Christmas.
Use wood glue to attach a copy of the world map to the board to get your small wood carving idea started. There won’t be much paper left after the cutting, so you will need to remove what survived. Cut up a second image later, and attach the pieces to the countries.
Your after-dinner guests could have real fun figuring out where Mongolia and Lichtenstein belong. Without knowing where you found your easy wood carving idea from, of course. This project also makes a world map fun to assemble, and that’s another good reason to complete this project.
Have you Enjoyed the New Look to My Site?
I decided to take our site to a new level, where wood carving merges to benefit from technology. However, by the same token I believe there are few things more pleasurable than producing something tangible we made with our hands.
I’ll be back shortly with more easy wood carving ideas that are pleasant, and worthwhile to achieve. And oh yes, before I forget I have some great suggestion for wood carving tools cooking. I’m trying them out in my workshop. Don’t be far away. I’ll be back soon. Nathan
More Info on Wood Carving and Wood Crafting
- What Should I Carve as a Beginner? These Stupid Simple Wood Carving Designs For Beginners are great if you are looking for other useful things to carve out of wood.
- My Preview Image: Wood Jigsaw Puzzle of The World
- What is the easiest wood to carve? In North America, I consistently recommend Basswood. I will have more recommendations for the UK, Europe, and other parts of the world where my key visitors are based. Check back for the wood information and reviews soon.
- What wood is easiest Whittle? Again in North America, I consistently recommend Basswood. As stated above, I will have more recommendations for the UK, Europe, and other parts of the world where my key visitors are based. Check back for the wood information and reviews soon.